In observance of Labor Day, the Church Office will be closed on Monday, September 7.
A new pastoral letter was mailed out this week—get a sneak peek (or a second look, if your letter carrier is extra speedy) on the OSL website. You’ll learn about worship services, Launch Weekend (September 12–13), more info about Pr. Lenny Duncan’s upcoming visit to OSL (see below), and more!
The Rev. Lenny Duncan—an ELCA pastor and the author of Dear Church: A Love Letter from a Black Preacher to the Whitest Denomination in the U.S.—will be at OSL on September 27, preaching in worship services that morning and holding a book reading and Q&A that afternoon. Pr. Lenny is being hosted by Augustana University and OSL, for two days of worship, teaching, conversation, and commitment-making. Click here to see the full schedule. The OSL Library has 10 copies of Dear Church available for checkout. And if you’d like to have a copy for yourself, they’re available for purchase in the Church Office, $10 per copy.
September signals the beginning of OSL’s programming year, and September 12–13 will be Launch! Weekend at Our Savior’s! Though it will look different this year because of necessary COVID-19 safety precautions, we are excited to see how God will bless this year of learning and service. OSL staff is committed to providing excellent programming for members and friends alike in service to OSL’s mission to proclaim Christ and nurture faith that connects to everyday life.
Hunger in the Time of COVID-19: Life for Today and Hope for Tomorrow, an online benefit for ELCA World Hunger, will take place on Thursday, September 24, at 7:00 p.m., via Zoom. The event will be hosted by Rick Steves, guidebook author and travel TV host; the Rev. Elizabeth A. Eaton, presiding bishop of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA); and the Rev. Shelley Bryan Wee, bishop of the Northwest Washington Synod of the ELCA. For more information and a registration link, visit oslchurch.com/hunger. Registration Closes September 22.
Do you have a student in college? Send in their address so they receive a College Care Package, which OSL Youth will be assembling soon. (See the announcement under Opportunities to Serve, further below, to learn how you can help!) It doesn’t matter if they’re on campus somewhere or taking classes online—their church family is thinking of and praying for them! Send addresses to Nicole, email@example.com, by October 1.
The OSL Library is open for “Grab and Go” check out. The Library hours are Sundays 8:15 to 11:45 a.m., Mondays/Tuesdays/Thursdays 9 a.m. to noon, Wednesdays 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., and the second Saturday of each month from 10 a.m. to noon and 4:30 to 6:30 p.m.
Be sure to view the 40 new and recently published titles on the inter-generational racial justice display in the OSL Library. For easy viewing online, visit the Racial Justice list on the Library catalog.
Are you worshiping from home? In-person church activities at OSL have resumed, but not everybody is comfortable about venturing out. Here’s how you can participate in the OSL community’s worship life from home:
• View (or print) weekly worship materials at oslchurch.com.
• Watch worship services on TV: Celebrate: 9:00 a.m., KTTW (cable channel 9; channel 7.1); Festive: 1:00 p.m., KSCB (cable channel 30; channel 53).
• Catch live-stream worship services at facebook.com/oslchurchsf: Celebrate, 8:45 a.m.; Festive, 10:15 a.m.
• Watch recorded services at oslchurch.com, uploaded on Monday.
• Praise God, from whom all blessings flow!
Things to Note…
Step up to Walking Wednesdays, resuming on September 9, at 10:00 a.m., by the south entrance. The plan is to walk outside for 30 to 45 minutes, if weather permits; indoors if it doesn’t. Masks are mandatory.
Mah-Jongg will resume at OSL on Wednesday, September 9, at 1:00 p.m., in The Gathering Place. To ensure safe play, these rules will be followed:
• Masks will be mandatory;
• Disinfect and/or wash hands with soap and water prior to play;
• Disinfect Mah-Jongg tiles prior to play;
• Players will disinfect the playing table surface prior to and after play;
• The round tables The Gathering Place will be used for play, not card tables;
• No food or treats;
• Stay home if you have symptoms of COVID-19—especially fever, cough and respiratory symptoms, sudden loss of taste or smell
As Our Savior’s continues to carefully reopen the facility, be sure to check the OSL calendar at oslchurch.com/calendar for recently added events and activities. The website calendar is continuously updated, so visit it frequently!
Opportunities to Serve
Autumn is upon us, which means a new Meals on Wheels drivers schedule! Drivers pick the days that fit their schedule, and training is provided for new drivers. For more information, or to sign up, contact Sandy Garnas, 338-5440 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
What’s a Seat Sack? Funny you should ask! A Seat Sack is a sack (a-ha!) that goes on the back of kindergartners’ chairs and holds their school supplies during the day. OSL is helping Susan B. Anthony students by raising money to buy about 75 Seat Sacks. They’re $15 each, and if you wish to help you may stop by the Church Office or use OSL’s text giving option: Just text sharing to 73256 and follow the short instructions to make your gift (choose Seat Sacks from the drop-down menu). It’s a quick, convenient way to help support OSL’s mission!
OSL Caring Friends serve members who are homebound or in nursing homes or care facilities, to help them feel connected to the Body of Christ. There are lots of opportunities these days for Caring Friends—come for a time of sharing and fellowship for current Caring Friends and those who wish to see how they may help with this ministry! Meet on Thursday, September 10, at 1:00 p.m., at the south entrance. Bring a lawn chair, and wear a mask! The group will decide where to gather, observing COVID-19 precautions. Let Deb Harlan know if you plan to attend: 336-2942, ext. 48, or email@example.com.
Bring some sunshine and fun to one or two homebound members by putting some fun chalk drawings on their sidewalk or driveway! Contact Deb Harlan, 336-2942, ext. 48, or firstname.lastname@example.org. Chalk will be provided!
OSL Youth will be sending College Care Packages to members in college and university by mid-October. You may participate by contributing any of these:
- • Smaller rolls of toilet paper (to be made into pumpkins—the packages are autumn-themed!)
• Mechanical pencils
• Orange Tic Tacs
• Individual bags of Cheetos, Goldfish crackers, Cheez-Its
• Trick or treat size bags of Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups or Kit Kats
• Trick or treat size bags of Candy Corn
• 3″ x 3″ Post-it Notes
• And, of course, cash, to help purchase additional items and cover the cost of shipping.
Have items to the Church Office by September 20. Thanks for your support!
Our friends at Susan B. Anthony Elementary School tell us they could make good use of child-sized masks for their students. OSL would like to contribute about 500 masks; the quilting group, Peace by Piece, has set up a table in the quilting room dedicated to the project, with fabric and supplies, available for you to pick up anytime the church is open. Stop in the Church Office and a staff member will let you into the room, where you can choose the material you wish and any supplies necessary. Questions? Contact Deb Harlan, 336-2942, ext. 48, or email@example.com.
- • Volunteer to help out—there are slots for two volunteers on each of these days: Wednesdays and Thursdays, 3:45 to 7:00 p.m.; Sunday mornings, 9:00 to 11:00. Procedures are in place to ensure everyone’s safety and minimal contact. Get in touch with Pr. Justin Kosec, 336-2942, ext. 44, or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Buy some, or all, of the items on the shopping list you’ll find here. You’ll find all the details you need there, too. For your convenience, a cart is set up inside the south entrance during business hours, where you may leave your contributions. Thanks for your support of OSL’s Augustana neighbors!
Have you tried OSL’s text giving option? It’s a quick, convenient way to help support OSL’s mission! Just text sharing to 73256 and follow the short instructions to make a gift to Our Savior’s. Thank you for your continued support!