OSL Women of the ELCA
If you are a woman and attend Our Savior’s Lutheran Church, I have a few questions for you:
• Do you gather with a group of OSL friends for Bible Study?
• Do you gather with a group of OSL friends to do community projects?
• Do you socialize with OSL friends?
If you answered yes to any of the above questions and the group of friends are women, then you fit the definition of a Circle. Yes, there are a few forms to fill out if your group becomes an official Circle associated with WELCA, but it’s all for a good cause. Each Circle decides on a Mission Project; do you want to support the mission financially or by doing a service project, or both? You decide! The Mission Project can be for the entire year or just a portion of the year—you decide! When do you meet? You decide! Where do you meet? You decide! What Bible Study should you do? You decide!
So why should your group be part of the larger WELCA group and not just continue on your own? One reason is that a few times a year you will gather with other Circles and plan one of the four luncheons/social gatherings that we have each year. This is a good time to connect with other women outside your group, whom you may never get a chance to meet otherwise. If you are interested in joining or starting a Circle and would like more information, just contact me, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Here are a few of the 2018 Circle Mission Projects:
• Mats for the homeless
• Church on the Street
• Share gift of music by playing piano at Prairie Creek Memory Unit each week for a singalong
• Child’s Voice—provide a fleece blanket for each child
• Quilts for OSL and other organizations in and out of Sioux Falls
• Prison Ministry
• Food Pantry/Feeding SD
• Nursing Home Visits
• Addiction Ministry
• Children’s Home Society
• Children’s Inn
• Family Connection
• Prayer Shawls
I would be remiss if I did not take this opportunity to thank the Circles for their job well done!
Board Position Opening for 2019. We still have one opening for the 2019 WELCA Board and we would love to hear from you. Please prayerfully consider putting your name in for either the secretary or mission action position. If you have any questions regarding these openings, please let me know: email@example.com.
November Bible Study. “Turn, Turn, Turn: A Time for Faithful Repentance” by Meghan Johnston Aelabouni. (Source: gathermagazine.org.) Session Three: “Turning as the Church to the World.” Focus Verse: “If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he who is faithful and just will forgive us our sins and cleanse us from all unrighteousness.” 1 John 1:8–9
Unit Wide Mission Project for 2018 is #kidsareGod’sgift, focusing on children. I have received some great ideas so continue to share if you know of an organization that focuses on children and would like the organization to be considered as one of our Mission Project recipients. We welcome your input!
• Preparation for the Pie and Lefse Sale: Making Lefse on Saturday, November 10, from 9:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. Bring your lefse-making griddles and tools. No experience necessary. All are welcome—men, women, and youth!
• Annual Pie & Lefse Sale – November 18
• WELCA Christmas Luncheon – Saturday, December 1, 11:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. Program: Potluck, Christmas Carols, and Short Notice Band
“Pray without ceasing.” 1 Thessalonians 5:17
WELCA Board Members: Jodie Nielsen, President; Michelle Schuknecht, Vice President; Valori Maher, Secretary; Toni LeVasseur, Treasurer;
Sandy Fischer, Mission Action Chair; Tami Skorczewski, Advisor.